Click on photo to view in the 21st century.......
Wellington Street, with new Town Hall, c. 1906. The freehold was bought
for £15,880 and was the first use of a Compulsory Powers Order
to purchase land for municipal purposes. The site was originally intended
for use as a new market place, but following opposition, the public
baths, a library, the police station and the fine Town Hall, designed
by Mr A. Brumwell-Thomas, were all built on this piece of land.